Cambrian Rally


Posted on February 13, 2017

We would also like to thank everyone that attempted to reach their positions on SS2 and SS3, and not forgetting all the other marshals at the other venues of the event, unfortunately the weather beat us and the snow and sheet ice prevented you from achieving your goal and enabling us to run the stages.

The decision to cancel / abandon the event was not an easy one and one that was not taken lightly, but with a lot of sadness.
It became clear that we had problems when it was reported that marshals could not reach their locations in Aberhirnant, options to cut were looked at and even to run it only in the afternoon, but the snow was still falling heavily. The safety car team were dispatched to various locations to gather information to enable an informed decision to be made.
Our main considerations were;
1.     Safety of the competing crews.
2.     Could we respond to an incident if one occurred?
3.     The welfare of the marshals and spectators, could we get them out after the stage after it was closed and would that be in daylight?
4.     The time that the marshals would to be exposed in the extreme weather if we ran the event.
5.     Likely issues involving support vehicles as they were already getting stuck in the management area.
6.     The dangers that the conditions may create on the exit road from SS3.
7.     Existing weather conditions and forecast.
The team responded and acted in a totally dedicated and professional way, using their years of experience to gather the information for me without hesitation, but with their total support and quick and prompt response I was able to make an informed decision about the safe running of the event. The decision was supported by the MSA Steward and the MSA Delegate.
Alyn Edwards
Clerk of Course
Cambrian Rally